The regiment was raised on July 13, 1680, as the 2nd Tangier, or Earl of Plymouth's Regiment of Foot. It saw service for nearly three centuries. In 1751, after various name changes, the regiment was titled 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot. The regiment retained this title until the Childers Reforms of 1881 when it became The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). In 1921, it was re-designated The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster).